Sunday, December 15, 2019

Renewing Driving License


My driving license is about to expire and need to renew it.
I am aware that renewal process can be done online. In my case, I need to get a medical fitness certificate, but could not locate a govt. doctor for it. Finally, I decided to go through an agent.

I searched on the internet and found good reviews about Drivekool, which is basically a driving school but also offers services such as DL renewal. I paid an amount of 2124/-, deposited the original DL, a photograph and a copy of address proof, on 12th October. My DL expires on 30th October.

On 24th October, I receive an SMS saying my application is accepted for processing. I called the drivekool office to know when I need to visit RTO office. They say that there is a huge backlog and it will take some time, they will mail me and let me know. 30th October has passed, and I became restless, my DL has expired, and I need to drive daily. But came to know that till one month after expiry of DL, we can drive without any issue. I am going on vacation on 15th November, till then I will be able to drive, but what after that? I somehow should be able to provide my biometrics in RTO office before that, so that I receive the DL after my vacation. But 15th November has passed, and I did not receive any call for RTO visit.
During my vacation, I received a call from Drivekool telling me that I need to visit the RTO office the next day. I told them that I was on vacation and will come back only on 8th December. They said they will fix a date after that.

I returned to Bangalore on 8th Dec and called Drivekool about RTO visit. They finally fixed a time of 11:30 on 12th Dec.
On 12th December, I reached Kasturi Nagar RTO at around 10 am. I was not sure how much time it might take, so started at 9 am, but surprising reached in just 1 hour. I waited for some time and then called the person I needed to contact. He arrived in half an hour, submitted me all the documents and explained me what needs to be done.
Based on his advice, I visited a doctor which is near the RTO office, for medical certificate. The doctor asked me some questions and finally signed and sealed the fitness certificate. He charged 100 Rs. for that. Also need to provide a self-addressed envelope with postal stamps, bought it from nearby shop for Rs 30/-.
The complete set should contain the following:

  • The original DL in a plastic Ziploc bag.
  • Acknowledgement form. An additional copy should be kept for own use.
  • The application Form 9
  • Medical Fitness Certificate
  • A self-addressed envelope with Rs. 18 postal stamps.
Then I visited the RTO office and completed the following things:
  • Address proof verification: Gone to a counter, where a lady verifies the original address proof. Once verified, she signs and seals the acknowledgement.
  • Fee payment: In another counter need to pay a fee of Rs 351/-
  • Biometrics: In another room, photo and signature is captured for each applicant. They charge Rs. 58/- for each smart card.
That's all to be done.
My agent needed the file containing all the original application, as he will collect the DL. In RTO office, a lady was collecting the original file from all applicants. I just told her that I have come through a driving school and the agent need the original file, she allowed me to carry it: it was so easy (the agent wrote his name on the top of the application). I gave the file back to the agent. He told that I will receive an SMS when the DL is issued and then Drivekool office will call me when DL is received, I need to collect it from their office.

Renewing a DL is easy nowadays. The application can be filled online, an appointment can be booked online too and then need to visit the RTO office for biometrics. We need not go through an agent.

Related:

No comments:

Post a Comment